I love Champagne and can't wait to ring in the new year with my favorite people! In order to pop only the best bubbly correctly, I asked my adorable sorority little sis and champagne professional ( no really!! it's her career! ) Alissa to help me guide you through the best champagne for your 2018 celebration. She rounded up the best champs priced from lowest to highest, gave us the scoop on each selection, food pairing and party tips for how to make sure you are prepared to be the perfect hostess! Don't miss the best champs fun facts at the end! My favorite part!
Domaine Chandon Brut Classic
A great choice if someone is a fan of buying local. This amazing winery was opened by Moet & Chandon in Yountville, CA in the mid 70's. They create their sparkling in exactly the same fashion as it's French Cousins and have a very playful side. Their we bite features cocktail recipes as well as entertaining tips and tricks. They even release special limited edition holiday bottles and this year the bottles were designed by the incredibly talented Rebecca Minkoff
Etoile by Domaine Chandon
Etoile, French for Star, is the Prestige offering from Domaine Chandon. A hugely food friendly sparkling and presented in an exquisite bottle with long neck and simple gold writing. this is an awesome, esoteric offering and one that is splendidly priced for gifting.
Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial NV
Veuve Clicquot "Yellow Label" Brut
Champagne Ruinart, Blanc de Blancs
Dom Perignon, Blanc Vintage 2009
When selecting your Champagne for this holiday season, it is definitely a good idea to look around for the best price available. Champagne and sparkling are an affordable luxury and if you are going to splurge a little ….. now is the time to do so. From Big box chains, to your local grocery store, to independent wine and spirits shops, and yes even online only stores…. everyone is offering their best foot forward when it comes to pricing and availability this time of year. Some helpful hints and tips: Above is a list of some of the world's most loved bubbles. Including the oldest Champagne house, as well as the very first Sparkling Winery from Napa and of course Champagne Royalty …. KRUG and the beloved Dom Perignon.
When looking for Champagne for your holiday gathering it is a good idea to keep a few things in mind when shopping around on price.
1) Number of people in attendance- each 750ml bottle of Champagne will provide approximately 5-6 glasses. If you are having a small party of 2 or a large gathering of 100 there is a Champagne for you and a size to match. Sizes include individual "mini" bottles in 187ml (Moet & Chandon and Domaine Chandon) "Half Bottles" 375ml (Moet & Chandon, Veuve Clicquot, Ruinart, KRUG) or Large formats such as the "Magnum" 1.5L or the equivalent to 2 regular 750ml bottles(Domaine Chandon, Moet & Chandon, Veuve Clicquot, Ruinart Blanc de Blancs, Dom Perignon, and KRUG)..
2)Who is your audience and what is on the menu?: will your guests be simply toasting to the New Year or do you have a home filled with wine aficionado's? Champagne LOVES food so if your group falls into the later category…. your menu will be a huge help in your selection. If you are having lighter fare such as Turkey, Fish, Vegetarian or Vegan…. a brut or Blancs de Blancs will be the true companion to your spread. Should your menu include items such as red meat, lamb, pork, or items with hearty sauces…. then Rose will truly be the perfect choice to wow your guests whether they be Sommelier's or first time Champagne Sippers.
3) Have FUN! Champagne is a beautiful way to not just celebrate the holidays but the everyday and the people you are with. It is truly unique in that it can be carried from welcome, to appetizers. Main dishes, desserts and of course ringing in the New Year.
- there are approximately 49 million bubbles in a 750ml bottle of Champagne
- Marilyn Monroe is believed to have taken a both in over 350 bottles of Champagne
- There are approximately 100 calories in a single serving of Champagne
- The velocity at which the cork leaves the bottle can garner speed of up to 100 mph